Assess the potential for ESA products improvements.
- Quality of surface types in the products
- Analysis of freeboard SNR (could come from computation and gridding methods)
- Impact of Delay Doppler Processing options onto height and freeboard measurements
- Snow cover impact on freeboard measurement
- Assess the benefits of dual band (Ku/Ka) to better detect and account for Snow Depth (CryoVex/Karen spring 2017 campaign)
- Check continuity issues :
- Brownian WF (floes) and specular WF (leads) in a sequence,
- off-nadir hookings (due to leads, polynyas, …)
- side-lobe contamination effects
- check the products at the pack ice - fast ice transitions
Corrective & New Approaches.
- Geophysical retracking (CLS, SAMOSA+) to improve continuity over different surfaces (no threshold)
- New freeboard computation techniques to be tested
- SARIN mode freeboard prototyping
- SARIN swath processing over sea-ice : theoretical and experimental aspects
- New Metrics & Diagnostic Tools : detailed analysis of waveforms, stacks, radar chronograms also in combination with SAR images (Sentinel-1)
New Approaches / New Subjects.
- Geophysical retracking : develop / test physical based retrackers for sea ice (improved space-time consistency : no space-time dependent threshold).
- New Freeboard computation & Gridding methods.
- Exploitation of Ku/Ka synergy (surface type, snow depth, freeboard) :
- Cryovex Campaign data (concomitant acquisitions)
- CryoSat-2 / SARAL crossings @ short time interval
- Compare airborne vs spaceborne